Trying to impress your better half with an exotic breakfast? Surprise her by making Shakshouka! Although it seems hard to pronounce and to spell, Shakshouka is easy to prepare. This Israeli’s famous breakfast hits that spot of pure amazingnesss that will make you a hero in your better half’s eyes, forever! Let’s do this and make Shakshouka!
Rami, a kind-hearted Israeli, visited and taught us how to make Israeli dishes (because we love Israelis) — one of them is Shakshouka (also spelled: Shakshuka); and we loved it! Basically, Shakshouka is poached egg in tomato sauce with chilies, onions, and spices. Rami gave us the basics, and we made a twist by adding Ground Beef and Bacon. And the result is overwhelmingly great!
With tomatoes, bell peppers, chilies, and eggs, Shakshouka is bursting with flavors and a Vitamin C and nutrient powerhouse. You will get the needed energy to seize any day.
Shakshouka’s consistency is soft and thick, similar to a mushy pie when cut. It is eaten with toast or bread. The flavor is very rich: chunky tomato sauce mixed with poached eggs — perfect combination! Then mop the remaining sauce with bread, and you just made a magnificent morning starter.
Best enjoyed with:
- Black Coffee
- Orange Juice
- Shred Lettuce
- Toasted Bread
- Sour Cream Sauce
According to Wikipedia, Shakshouka is a staple dish of Tunisian, Libyan, Algerian, Moroccan, and Egyptian cuisines and served in a cast iron pan or tajine with bread to mop up the sauce. Apparently, Shakshouka is popular in Israel, where it was introduced by Tunisian Jews and Maghrebi Jews.
Isn’t Shakshouka a cultural wonder and a pretty sight? With that let’s start doing Shakshouka the Club 3510 way, and thank you Rami!
- Olive Oil, 1 tablespoon
- Onions, chopped, 1 small piece
- Garlic, chopped, 1 half clove
- Ripe Tomatoes, chopped, 3 small pieces
- Tomato Sauce, 350 milliliters
- Green Bell Pepper, chopped, 1 small piece
- Red Bell Pepper, chopped, 1 small piece
- Pepper, 1 teaspoon
- Cumin, 1 teaspoon
- Paprika, 1 teaspoon
- Tabasco, few drops
- Chives, for garnishing
- Cilantro, for garnishing
- Eggs, 2 pieces
- Bacon, 2 strips
- Cooked Ground Beef, 4 tablespoons
- Any leftover meat, chopped
- Heat pan and add Olive Oil
- Fry Bacon until crisp
- Set aside Bacon
- Fry Garlic and Onions
- Season it with Pepper, Paprika, and Cumin
- Add Tomatoes and fry until soft
- Add Salt
- Add the Red and Green Bell Peppers
- Add Tomato Sauce and Tabasco, let it simmer
- Add Eggs
- Add any leftover protein (e.g. Ground Beef or Chopped Chicken)
- Slightly cover the pan until Eggs are poached
- Place Bacon
- Garnish with Chives and Cilantro
- Serve in pan
- Serves: 2
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Dish: Israeli, Tunisian, Middle Eastern
- Related recipes: Poached Eggs in Tomato Sauce, Poached Eggs